“For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39 (NASB)
An in-depth study shows us that this subdivision of Romans, chapters 5-8, ends just as it began. The same reference is made to “God through our Lord Jesus Christ” and “the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 5:1, 8:39). Paul references four pairs of things plus two more powers which are individually mentioned.
- neither death nor life: we cannot be separated in our life and even death won’t bring about any divorce between God and the believer.
- nor angels nor principalities: all angels, whether good or bad, real or imagined, (principalities are fallen angels or demons) are unable to separate us from the love of God in Christ.
- nor things present nor things to come: present circumstances or a foreboding future—can do nothing to separate us from the deep love which God grants us.
- nor height nor depth: even distance of space fails to separate us from God’s love,
- nor powers: this refers to miracles or to persons in positions of authority.
- nor any other created thing: in case anything or anyone might be left out, nothing created, even oneself can cause separation between God and the believer.