“And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” – Romans 8:28 (ESV)
Our selected verse today is a kind of summary of the promises in Romans 8:1-27. We can fully understand if we view it in light of these verses.
- For all who are in Christ Jesus there is now no condemnation (verses 1–8).
- All are indwelt by that Spirit who will even raise their bodies (verses 9–11).
- They are assured that they are God’s children, and his heirs (verses 14–16).
- Present suffering for Christ promises one day they will share his glory (verse 18).
- The new heaven and earth are promised and with groaning are looked forward to (verses 19–22).
- They also groan as they eagerly await their promised adoption (verses 23–25).
- In all their weaknesses the Holy Spirit helps them always interceding for them in harmony with God’s will, (verses 26, 27).
This is in the providence of God which is his purposeful sovereignty by which He will successfully achieve his ultimate goal for the universe. God’s providence puts his plans into action, guides all toward his definitive goal. God sovereignly superintends every event in a believer’s life—even suffering, temptation, and sin—to accomplish our temporal and eternal benefit.